Effective 1am 19 June 2021
To reduce the risk of COVID-19 in Queensland and manage outbreaks, the Queensland Government has put in place declaration requirements for all travel into Queensland from interstate and New Zealand.
There are two types of declaration depending on your situation. If you have been in a State or Territory with a declared hotspot in the last 14 days you will need to complete a Queensland Border Declaration. If you are travelling from a State or Territory without a hotspot you will need to complete a Queensland Travel Declaration.
You must complete the right declaration for your situation before you travel to enter Queensland.
Click here to access more information on Queensland Travel or Border Declarations, and to apply for the relevant pass for you.
Greater Melbourne in Victoria, and Waverley LGAs in NSW are currently declared hotspots. If you have been in either place within the last 14 days, you will not be able to travel to Queensland until further notice.
There will be a Queensland Police presence at Hamilton Island Airport, checking all arrivals for completed Queensland Travel Declarations (see above section regarding new announcement on Queensland Travel Declarations). If any guests have been in Greater Melbourne or Waverley LGAs in the last 14 days they will be required to return home immediately at their own expense.
If you are impacted by this latest announcement, and are travelling to Hamilton Island in the next 14 days, please phone our Hamilton Island Holiday Specialists on 137 333 between 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday or 9am - 4pm Saturday, to discuss your travel options. Please note that we are experiencing high call volumes and you may encounter a longer than usual wait time.
If you have booked directly with Hamilton Island, we wish to reassure you of our flexible booking policy, which allows you to rebook for a later date without penalty. For our Booking Terms pertaining to COVID-19 restrictions please click here.
If you have not booked with us directly, and you have used a travel agent or a private accommodation operator, you will need to speak with them directly concerning your reservation and their terms. Flight bookings are subject to airline terms and conditions and you will need to speak with your airline directly to make any changes.
Please check the Queensland Health website first
We do our best to provide accurate information to you regarding snap border closures and extensions as quickly as possible. The information we provide is based on the facts we have to hand at the time of writing and is subject to change at any moment. Please check the Queensland Health website to confirm what restrictions apply to you, before calling to discuss your options.
We thank you for your understanding during this time and look forward to welcoming you to Hamilton Island when we are able to do so.
Please keep an eye on the Interstate Exposure Venues, as declared by the Queensland Government, if you are planning travel to Queensland.
Depending on the classification of the Exposure Venue, you may not be allowed to travel to Queensland or you may be required to quarantine for 14 days in government arranged accommodation.
All people are encouraged to monitor the Queensland Health interstate exposure venue lists for 14 days after they arrive in the state to ensure no new venues have been added. This includes venues in New Zealand.
Check here for up-to-date Queensland Health information on mask requirements.
Booking Terms and Conditions
For full booking terms and conditions including our COVID-19 related border and illness terms, click here.
All restaurants and retail outlets are only accepting cashless payments during this time.
INFORMATION ON DINING
Restaurants and Cafes in Queensland must comply with the customer density rule of 1 person per 2 square metres indoors. In addition, unless customers are in the same group, the 1.5m physical distancing rules still apply. For this reason, we have limited capacity in our restaurants and bars.
Some of our restaurants are booking out quickly so please call early to reserve a table. If you do find that your preferred restaurant is not available over your travel dates, we have a number of restaurants, cafes and takeaways that don’t require bookings and are available for walk-ins, all marked below.
Restaurant times and dates may vary slightly depending on the week that you visit, please check here for the weekly Restaurant/Café/Bar opening times.
Restaurants and Cafes
Pizzeria and Gelato Bar
Casual outdoor dining with a delicious range of homemade pizzas and gelato.
Walk-ins only. Takeaway and Delivery also available.
4.30pm to 9.30pm daily
Poolside dining at the Reef View hotel. Kids Eat Free^
Lunch and dinner, open till late.
Sails Restaurant Breakfast and Lunch
Beachside and Poolside, located in the Resort Centre, Kids Eat Free^
Breakfast, lunch and dinner from 7am till late.
Sails Restaurant for Dinner (coca chu menu)
Beachside and Poolside, located in the Resort Centre, Kids Eat Free^
Modern Australian, family friendly menu down by the Marina, Kids Eat Free^
5.30pm till late. Closed Thursdays and Fridays.
Casual pub-style dining down by the Marina.
Lunch and dinner from 11.30am till late.
Mexican fare with tropical flare by the Marina. Kids Eat Free^
Dinner from 5pm till late. Closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
Dine in or takeaway café menu including breakfast, lunch, coffee and snacks by the Marina.
6.30am to 2pm daily
Hamilton Island Wildlife Café
Enjoy coffee and snacks in the company of some of our local wildlife in a casual café setting.
8.00am to 3.30pm daily
Relaxed waterside dining at the Marina offering innovative Italian fare.
5.30pm till late. Closed Sundays and Mondays.
Beach Pavilion Kiosk
The perfect spot for beachside or poolside refreshments.
Open 11am-5pm daily, and 11am-3pm for hot food.
Takeaways and Bars
Bob’s Bakery 7am to 2pm daily
Freshly baked every morning, pop-in for bread, rolls, sandwiches, meat pies and cakes.
Popeye’s Fish and Chips 11.30am to 8.30pm daily
Grab some fish, chips and more for lunch or dinner, down by the Marina.
One Tree Hill Bar 3pm to 7.30pm daily
Sunset cocktails with the most spectacular views from the top of the hill.
Verandah Bar 11.30am till late daily
Chilled vibes by the pool and Catseye Beach.
Island Pool Bar 11am to 4pm daily
Relax at the island swim-up pool bar.
TOURS AND ACTIVITIES OPENING DAYS AND HOURS
Opening hours are subject to change.
For Great Barrier Reef boat tours and scenic flights, boating, sailing and fishing click here.
Some of our more popular island activities are listed below – click on each activity to find out more including up-to-date opening hours.
Wet Weather: for outdoor activities please check ahead of time with Tour Desk or the activity itself , as in some cases outdoor activities cannot operate in wet conditions.
RETAIL OPENING DAYS AND HOURS
Opening hours are subject to change, click on the links for up-to-date information on each one.
Hamilton Island has implemented the ‘Hamilton Island Stay Well Program’ across the Island which strictly adheres to the COVID Safe Directives of the Queensland Chief Health Officer. This program aims to ensure the safety of our guests, staff and community. Please read the below to ensure you are aware of how these measures might impact you during your stay.
Before you arrive
- If you have just been tested and are self-isolating when you are due to arrive, or if you have tested COVID positive within 14 days before arrival, please don’t travel to Hamilton Island (no change fees attached with a medical certificate)
- If you are displaying cold and flu symptoms you will be asked to self-isolate and to get checked by our Medical Centre team
- In the unlikely event of you testing positive for COVID-19 while you are on Hamilton Island, you will be required to quarantine on the island OR on the Whitsunday mainland, for 14 days, at your own expense
- We suggest getting travel insurance before you travel anywhere, just in case you have to change or cancel plans (our Hamilton Island Reservations Specialists can organise that for you)
- Our Stay Well Program strictly adheres to the COVID Safe Directives of the Queensland Chief Health Officer
- We conduct thermal scanning of all visitors upon entry to the airport and the ferry terminal
- There are hand sanitiser stations resort-wide indoors and outdoors
- Masks and gloves are available upon request at all front desks and outlets
- Compendium, stationery and magazines have been removed from rooms and communal guest areas, replaced with online or paper information packs
- Our areas are set as per recommended social distancing guidelines
- We practise the 1.5m social distance rule island-wide
- We practise all social distancing measures at all of our onshore and offshore activities
Increased cleaning and sanitisation
- We conduct frequent regular cleaning of public and high traffic areas
- We do increased and frequent cleaning of hotel rooms with special attention paid to high touch surfaces, bathrooms and floors
- Our linen laundering processes follow the global WHO Safety Guidelines
- We’ve implemented a ‘Clean As You Go’ Program - all team members clean the surfaces they pass frequently as they move about their day
- Guests displaying cold and flu symptoms will be asked to self-isolate and to get checked by our Medical Centre team
- COVID-19 testing kits are available at our Medical Centre to ensure any suspected cases can be confirmed swiftly
- Quick and comprehensive case management protocol including the facilitation of island based isolation, testing and quarantine if required
- We have specially trained cleaning staff on island available for post exposure cleaning if necessary
- Our first responder, medical, safety and security staff have completed the Australian Department of Health COVID-19 Infection Control Training
- Maximum capacity requirements apply in shops and restaurants
- Hotel buffet breakfast and shared menus have been replaced with à la carte
- Increased takeaway and food delivery options are available
- Contactless registration and menus in all restaurants
- Our high contact area staff members have completed the mandatory TAFE QLD COVID Safe training courses
We strongly recommend you take out Travel Insurance before your holiday. We can help you to organise an online quote with Cover-More.