Wearing of masks is now mandatory in these settings:
- Queensland Airports, inside and outside in Airport grounds
- on a domestic commercial flight while the plane is at a Queensland airport and in Queensland airspace.
There are some exceptions to wearing a face mask, including:
- children under 12
- a person eating, drinking or taking medicine
- where visibility of the mouth is essential
- where a mask needs to be removed to clearly communicate
- a person with a particular medical condition or disability
- a person undergoing medical treatment
- if a person is asked to remove a face mask for identity purposes
- if wearing a mask creates a risk to a person’s health and safety
- for emergencies or when allowed by law
- in any circumstances when it’s not safe to wear a mask.
Here are the latest Queensland Border Restrictions with the key points summarised below:
- 35 New South Wales LGAs comprising greater Sydney were declared COVID-19 hotspots on Monday 21 December 2020.
- The Queensland border is closed to anyone who has been in a COVID-19 hotspot excluding Greater Brisbane in the last 14 days or since the hotspot was declared (whichever is shorter).
- Anyone travelling to Queensland who has been in NSW at any time since 1am Friday 11 December must complete a Queensland Border Declaration Pass before they enter Queensland
- If you are unsure of whether you are impacted by Queensland border restrictions, you can click here to complete the Queensland Health self-check for advice about what to do if you are travelling to Queensland or if you are already in Queensland.
Queensland Police at Hamilton Island Airport
Queensland Police and Queensland Health are currently at Hamilton Island Airport checking the identification of all passengers, and anyone who has been in a COVID-19 hotspot in the last 14 days may be able to immediately return home or will be directed to government arranged accommodation for quarantine at their own expense for 14 days. See QLD Border Restrictions for more information.
Stay up to date with COVID-19 hotspots in Australia – if you are impacted, please do not travel. If you have just been tested and are self-isolating when you are due to arrive, or if you have tested COVID-19 positive within 14 days prior to arrival, once again please do not travel to Hamilton Island. Should any of these circumstances apply to you, please call our Reservations team on 1300 007 333 who will be happy to assist you with rescheduling your booking.
All restaurants and retail outlets are only accepting cashless payments during this time.
- Marina Café Open for Breakfast from 20th January 2021 from 7.00am – 2.00pm daily
- Bommie Restaurant Fine dining at the Hamilton Island Yacht Club. Enjoy a 7 course tasting menu from 6.00pm - late, Wednesday - Saturday. Ph 4948 9433
- coca chu (KEF) Our popular beachside restaurant is currently closed, but the coca chu dinner menu is available at Sails, 5.30pm - late. Ph 4946 8562
- The Clubhouse Open Tuesday - Sunday for lunch. Ph 4948 9760
- Marina Tavern Casual pub-style dining 11.30am - late daily. Ph 4946 8839
- Pool Terrace (KEF) Breakfast, lunch and dinner overlooking the Reef View Hotel pool. Open from 6.00am - 11.30pm. Ph 4946 8019
- Romano’s Innovative Italian fare by the marina. Dinner 5.30pm - late, Tuesday - Saturday. Ph 4946 8212 (Romano’s will be open seven days a week from 27th January 2021)
- Sails (KEF) Lunch and dinner. The hub of Hamilton Island overlooking Catseye Beach. Open 11.30am - 8.30pm (coca chu menu for dinner service). Ph 4946 8562
- TAKO (KEF) Experience a taste of regional cuisine from the four corners of Mexico. Open Saturday and Sunday, 5.00pm - late. Ph 4946 8032 (TAKO will be closed from 25th January 2021)
Takeaway and Cafés
- Beach Pavilion Kiosk 11.00am - 3.00pm snacks, 11.00am - 6.00pm drinks
- Bob’s Bakery 7.00am - 2.00pm daily
- Hamilton Island Wildlife Café 8.30am - 3.30pm daily for coffee and snacks
- Marina Café 7.00am - 2.00pm daily
- Pizzeria and Gelato Bar 4.30pm - 9.30pm daily
- Popeye’s Fish and Chips 12.00pm - 8.30pm daily
- Island Bar Swim up bar in the Main Pool. 11.00am - 4.00pm daily
- Bob’s Bakery 7.00am - 2.00pm daily
- Marina Tavern Ideal spot for a laid-back drink. 11.30am - late daily
- One Tree Hill Drinks overlooking the surrounding Whitsunday Islands. Open 3.00pm - 7.30pm daily
- Verandah Bar Overlooking the Dolphin Pool and Catseye Beach. 11.30am - late daily
Tours & Activities
Some tours, activities and retail outlets will be temporarily unavailable, or operating on limited times and days, so please make sure to book early to avoid disappointment.
For further information or to book tours or activities on Hamilton Island, or for availability of Great Barrier Reef, Whitehaven Beach, scenic flight, boat or jetski tours and activities, please email Tour Desk or call our Tour Desk on +61(0)7 4946 8305. See Activities Guide for more detail on opening times and closures.
Hamilton Island Tours and Activities are open every day, with some exceptions as listed below
- Spa Wumurdaylin
- Hamilton Island Wildlife
- Bowling Alley open 4pm-8pm
- Go Karts open 9am-5pm
- Sports Club
- Mini Golf
- Hamilton Island Dinghy Hire
- Jetski Tours
- Beach Sports
- Art Gallery, closed Sunday and Monday
- Quad Bikes for Kids
- Off-road Adventure Tours
Retail Shops are open every day with some exceptions as listed below
- IGA, open 7 days 8.30am to 7pm
- Bottle Shop, open 7 days 10am to 7.30pm
- The Hut retail, open 7 days
- Trader Pete's retail, open 7 days
- Floral Collections retail, closed Sunday and Monday
- Hamilton Island Designs retail, open 7 days
- Hair and Beauty, closed Sunday
Hamilton Island has implemented the ‘Hamilton Island Stay Well Program’ across the Island which strictly adheres to the COVID Safe Directives of the Queensland Chief Health Officer. This program aims to ensure the safety of our guests, staff and community. Please read the below to ensure you are aware of how these measures might impact you during your stay.
Before you arrive
- If you reside in, or have visited a declared COVID-19 hotspot during the past 14 days you must not enter Queensland. If this is you, and you arrive at Hamilton Island you will not be granted entry
- If you have just been tested and are self-isolating when you are due to arrive, or if you have tested COVID positive within 14 days before arrival, please don’t travel to Hamilton Island (no change fees attached with a medical certificate)
- If you are displaying cold and flu symptoms you will be asked to self-isolate and to get checked by our Medical Centre team
- In the unlikely event of you testing positive for COVID-19 while you are on Hamilton Island, you will be required to quarantine on the island OR on the Whitsunday mainland, for 14 days, at your own expense
- We suggest getting travel insurance before you travel anywhere, just in case you have to change or cancel plans (our Hamilton Island Reservations Specialists can organise that for you)
- Our Stay Well Program strictly adheres to the COVID Safe Directives of the Queensland Chief Health Officer
- We conduct thermal scanning of all visitors upon entry to the airport and the ferry terminal
- There are hand sanitiser stations resort-wide indoors and outdoors
- Masks and gloves are available upon request at all front desks and outlets
- Compendium, stationery and magazines have been removed from rooms and communal guest areas, replaced with online or paper information packs
- Our areas are set as per recommended social distancing guidelines
- We practise the 1.5m social distance rule island-wide
- We practise all social distancing measures at all of our onshore and offshore activities
Increased cleaning and sanitisation
- We conduct frequent regular cleaning of public and high traffic areas
- We do increased and frequent cleaning of hotel rooms with special attention paid to high touch surfaces, bathrooms and floors
- Our linen laundering processes follow the global WHO Safety Guidelines
- We’ve implemented a ‘Clean As You Go’ Program - all team members clean the surfaces they pass frequently as they move about their day
- Guests displaying cold and flu symptoms will be asked to self-isolate and to get checked by our Medical Centre team
- COVID-19 testing kits are available at our Medical Centre to ensure any suspected cases can be confirmed swiftly
- Quick and comprehensive case management protocol including the facilitation of island based isolation, testing and quarantine if required
- We have specially trained cleaning staff on island available for post exposure cleaning if necessary
- Our first responder, medical, safety and security staff have completed the Australian Department of Health COVID-19 Infection Control Training
- Maximum capacity requirements apply in shops and restaurants
- Hotel buffet breakfast and shared menus have been replaced with a la carte
- Increased takeaway and food delivery options are available
- Contactless registration and menus in all restaurants
- Our high contact area staff members have completed the mandatory TAFE QLD COVID Safe training courses
Booking Terms and Conditions
For full booking terms and conditions including our COVID-19 related border and illness terms, click here.
We strongly recommend you take out Travel Insurance before your holiday. We can help you to organise an online quote with Cover-More.