Summary of contents
What is "personal information"?
5. Personal information” is information which relates to a living individual who can be identified from that information, or from that information and other information in a person’s possession, including any expression of opinion, whether true or not, and whether recorded in material form or not, about an identified or reasonably identified individual, and any indication of intention in respect of an individual.
What personal information do we collect?
6. Generally, the type of personal information we collect about you is the information that is needed to facilitate your stay on Hamilton Island including travel arrangements, bookings and to organise the provision of related products and services on your behalf. For example, we may collect details such as your name, residential address, mailing address, telephone number, email address, credit/debit card details (including card type, card number, security number and expiry date), and other details relevant to your stay or required by third parties providers (e.g. airlines, accommodation and tour providers).
7. When you make contact with us for other purposes, we may also collect personal information about you in relation to those purposes. For example, we may collect your personal information so we can contact you about a competition you have entered (e.g. if you win) or to respond to an enquiry or feedback form you have sent to us. We also collect information that is required for use in the business activities of Hamilton Island Enterprises Limited, including for example, financial details necessary in order to process various transactions, and any other relevant personal information you may elect to provide to us.
8. We also collect information about how you use our products, including transaction and payment information, details of any contact you have with our staff and information regarding your internet activity (including your location) when you use our websites or online services.
How do we collect personal information?
9. We will ordinarily collect personal information about you directly from you or where it is provided to us. For example, we collect personal information directly from you through forms you fill out when contacting us, signing up for our email communication, requesting a quote, using our online chat service, entering a competition, making a booking or through your ongoing interaction with us.
10. When you call us on the telephone, we may monitor and in some cases record the telephone conversation for staff training and record-keeping purposes. Further, when we communicate with you by email or via online chat, we may keep a copy of our correspondence and use technology to identify you so that we will be in a position to know when you have opened the email or clicked on a link in the email.
Why do we collect personal information?
12. The collection, holding and use of your personal information is necessary for us to provide you with advice relating to holidaying on Hamilton Island and/or to assist you with booking accommodation on Hamilton Island, travelling to and from Hamilton Island and/or booking restaurants, activities, products and other services related to your stay on Hamilton Island including:
- managing your reservation;
- sending you information;
- developing, improving and marketing our products and services;
- servicing our relationship with you by, among other things, providing updates on promotions, products and services we think may interest you;
- involving you in market research, gauging customer satisfaction and seeking feedback regarding our relationship with you;
- for marketing activities including but not limited to mail-outs, emails, e-newsletters, SMS notifications and telephone calls;
- responding to your questions;
- solving your problems; and
- verifying your identity.
13. If you contact us for a quote or information about our products and you decide not to holiday with us, we may keep your details on file to let you know about future offers.
Is personal information disclosed to third parties?
14. Yes but other than as disclosed below, we will not disclose your personal information without your consent unless we reasonably believe that disclosure is necessary to: (i) lessen or prevent a threat to life, health or safety; (ii) for certain action to be undertaken by an enforcement body (e.g. prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or punishment of criminal offences); (iii) disclosure is authorised or required by law; or (iv) disclosure is otherwise permitted by applicable privacy laws.
- as permitted or required by law;
- to various regulatory bodies and law enforcement officials and agencies, including to protect against fraud and for related security purposes;
- to third party suppliers of IT based solutions that assist us in providing products and services to you;
- to comply with a request from a qualified government department if we are satisfied that they have the authority to make such request;
- where we suspect that unlawful activity has been or may be engaged in and the personal information is a necessary part of our investigation or reporting of the matter;
- to third parties who may involve you in market research for the purpose of servicing our relationship with you and improving the products and services we provide; and
- to third parties for the purpose of analysing trends in sales and travel destinations.
How long do you keep personal information?
18. We are only allowed to store your personal information for as long as necessary having regard to the purpose for which it was collected or a related or ancillary purpose. We may therefore delete your personal information after a reasonable period of time and, if you have not used our products and services for some time, you may have to re-enter or re-supply your personal information to us.
19. Sensitive personal information will only be kept in accordance with the conditions you consent to at the time of collection or as otherwise required by law.
Is sensitive personal information treated differently under your policy?
20. Yes. Sensitive personal information (as defined in the legislation) will only be collected directly from you. The use and disclosure of sensitive personal information will only be in accordance with the conditions you consent to at the time of collection or as otherwise required by law.
Dealing with us anonymously or using a fake name
21. We will generally need to know who you are in order to provide you with our products and services. Despite this, in some circumstances you are entitled to deal with us anonymously, or by using a pseudonym (fake name), for example when making general enquiries about the services we offer. You must tell us when you are using a pseudonym when applying for our services. If we need to identify you, we will tell you whether or not your real name is required to access those services.
22. In some circumstances, you may receive a better service or response if we know who you are. For example, we can keep you up-to-date and better understand a complaint you might have if we know who you are and the circumstances of your complaint.
Do you ever send me advertising materials?
23. From time to time, we may use your personal information to let you know about new developments, Hamilton Island information and special offers that may interest you. We may also let you know about products and services from our partners but we will not pass your personal information to them or sell it to third parties.
What if I don't want to receive advertising materials?
24. That's absolutely fine. Just let us know by calling us on +61 2 9433 3333 or emailing email@example.com. You are also able to update your preferences via an unsubscribe link that is made available to you at the base of advertising email communication.
Online links to Third Party and Co-Branded sites
The term “cookie” is used throughout this Policy to cover all of these technologies, but we will also provide you with clear details about them all so that you can make informed choices about your cookie settings.
What are cookies?
28. A cookie is a small text file that a website saves on your computer or mobile device when you visit the site. It enables the website to remember your actions and preferences such as login, language, and display preferences. Cookies also allow us and third parties to obtain information about your visits to a Site, We use this information to process your reservations or requests and analyse your visiting patterns. This information assists us and others to deliver online and mobile advertisements, messages and content that are specific to your interests. You can find more information about cookies at: www.allaboutcookies.org
|Performance/ Analytics Cookies
These cookies allow our website to remember choices you make (language or the region you are in) and provide enhanced and more personal features so you don’t have to keep selecting your preferences every time you visit our website. For example, when you are planning a holiday on our website we remember information about your accommodation search parameters, such as number of nights and number of adults and children, so that you don’t have to re-enter this when you modify your arrival date in our booking engine. Cookies can also count the number of times a particular date period is searched and the number of rooms available. This information assists us to provide different default landing dates to help provide availability to customers. Without cookies we would not be able to keep your Live Chat conversation open while you explore and navigate from page to page on our website. The information these cookies collect is usually be anonymised and they cannot track your browsing activity on other websites. Some Functional Cookies are essential to viewing maps or videos on our Site.
|Targeting or Advertising cookies
Google - https://adssettings.google.com/u/0/authenticated,
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/help/568137493302217
Other Technologies may be used for the same purposes as our Cookies, to allow us and third parties to know when you visit the Site, and to understand how you interact with emails or advertisements. Through Other Technologies, non-personal information (e.g., your operating system, your browser version, and the URL you came from) or aggregate information may be obtained and used to enhance your experience and understand traffic patterns.
Links to Other Websites
30. To enhance your experience, our Sites may include links to other, unaffiliated sites. The fact that we link to a website is not an endorsement, authorization or representation of our affiliation with that third party. We do not exercise control over third party websites. These other websites may place their own cookies or other files on your computer, collect data or solicit Personal Information from you. Other sites follow different rules regarding the use or disclosure of the Personal Information you submit to them. We have no responsibility for the content, privacy and security practices, and policies of third-party sites or services to which links or access are provided through the Service. We encourage you to read the privacy policies or statements of the other websites you visit.
Social Media Features
How to control cookies
Performance or Functionality cookies
32. Most web browsers are set to accept cookies, but you can always change your computer settings to stop them. We are not responsible for your browser settings. You can control and/or delete cookies as you wish at any time - – for details, see aboutcookies.org or follow the instructions provided by your browser (usually located within the “Help”, “Tools” or “Edit” settings). Please note that if you disable your web browser’s ability to accept cookies, you may have to manually adjust some preferences every time you visit a site and you may not be able to use all the features of the our websites or perform certain transactions.
33. You may choose to opt-out of Google Analytics using the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on which you may access at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
Targeting, Advertising and Behavioural Marketing
34. Certain targeted advertisements that we (or a service provider acting on our behalf) display to you based on information about your online activities across websites and other interactive properties operated by third parties may include the “Ad Choices” icon or another mechanism to opt out of receiving interest-based advertisements. You may click on the AdChoices icon or visit www.aboutads.info to receive more information about the collection and use of information about your online activities for interest based advertising or to learn how to opt out of having your data used for interest based advertising by Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) participating companies.
- The Network Advertising Initiative’s (NAI) Opt-Out Tool at www.networkadvertising.org/choices allows you to opt out from the use of information about your online activities for interest based advertising by NAI member companies.
- European users can also visit www.youronlinechoices.com to learn how to opt out of having their data used for interest-based advertising by European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance (EDAA) member companies.
Alternatively, you can visit the following sites to opt-out of the main Ad networks used on Hamilton Island Websites: Google Click Here to Opt Out Quantcast Click Here to Opt Out Facebook Click Here to Opt Out
35. On your mobile device, your operating system may provide you with additional options to opt out of interest based advertising or to otherwise reset your mobile identifiers. For example, you may use the “Limit Ad Tracking” setting (on iOS devices) or a setting to “Opt out of Interest-Based Ads” (on Android) which allows you to limit the use of information about your use of apps for purposes of serving ads targeted to your interests.
36. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like more information on the cookies that we use and their purposes.
How do we store personal information?
37. We store your personal information in a number of ways including:
- on secure servers;
- in electronic systems and devices;
- in telephone recordings;
- in paper files; and
- document retention services off-site.
38. This may include storage on our behalf by third party service providers. See our comments below about how we protect your information.
How do we protect personal information?
39. Hamilton Island Enterprises Limited has implemented various physical, electronic and managerial security procedures in order to protect personal information from loss and misuse, and from unauthorised access, modification, disclosure and interference.
40. If we no longer require your personal information, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify it unless we are required to keep it by law.
Are my online transactions secure?
41. Whilst we take reasonable measures, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed as fully secure and accordingly, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you send to us using our online forms or products. You submit information over the Internet at your own risk.
42. With respect to online payments, we use a Secure Socket Layer (SSL), which scrambles your data to make it unreadable by third parties. It does this by:
- Server authentication: the web server sends a digital certificate to your computer so that you can be sure of its identity (and know that the transaction is protected - you'll see a lock symbol on the bottom right of the browser window).
- Client authentication: your computer authenticates itself to the server by showing its digital signature.
- Encryption: during the internet connection, data that's transferred from your computer to the server is scrambled, so that only your computer and the server can understand the contents of the transaction. This prevents other internet users from intercepting the information sent.
43. See our comments above regarding the websites of third parties including those that are linked to our websites.
Can I access and if necessary correct my personal information?
44. On request, we will provide you with access to the information we hold about you, including for the purpose of correcting or updating that information, unless there is an exception which applies under the Australian Privacy Principles.
45. Your request to provide access to this information will be dealt with within a reasonable time.
46. If we refuse to provide you with access to, or correct, the information, we will notify you of our reasons for the refusal to the extent required and how you may complain about the refusal.
47. If there is a denial of access to your personal information or a dispute as to the correctness of any personal information held, we will provide you with reasons for the denial or its refusal to correct the personal information. If you disagree with our decision for the denial or refusal to correct the personal information, we will notify you of our reasons for the refusal to the extent required and how you may complain about the refusal.
48. We take privacy concerns seriously, and we'll work to address any problems we become aware of. If you have any further questions, concerns or wish to make a complaint about the way we manage your personal information, please call our Privacy Officer on +61 2 9433 3333 or email us at email@example.com.
49. We are committed to resolving any issue you may have as quickly as possible. We aim to respond to all complaints within 5 working business days; however timeframes may be longer depending on the nature of the complaint.
50. If your complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction through the internal procedures outlined above, you may elect to contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC): GPO Box 5218 Sydney NSW 2001 Phone: 1300 363 992 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org www.oaic.gov.au
Last updated 17 February 2020.
2. Our website”, “our site” or “our sites” refers to www.hamiltonisland.com.au, www.bookings.hamiltonisland.com.au, www.hamiltonislandholidayhomes.com.au, www.hamiltonislandrealestate.com.au, www.qualia.com.au, www.hamiltonislandgolfclub.com.au, www.hamiltonislandraceweek.com.au ↩