Queensland Border Information
If you are travelling from an area declared a COVID-19 hotspot during the past 14 days, including Greater Sydney (effective 1am, 1 August 2020) and Victoria, you must not enter Queensland. Approved entry into Queensland for all other travellers is subject to completing and signing a Queensland Border Declaration Pass and undertaking to present for a COVID-19 test if you develop symptoms.
Queensland Police will be meeting arrivals into Hamilton Island to check and verify border passes.
Should you travel to Hamilton Island from a hotspot location including Greater Sydney or Victoria you will not be granted entry.
Applications for the Queensland Border Declaration Pass can be completed at https://www.qld.gov.au/border-pass.
In order to be eligible to enter Queensland, a separate pass is required for each individual travelling, including children.
Open to Queensland residents
From 27 June 2020 and offering Hamilton Island Holiday Homes or privately managed accommodation options only.
Open to all Australian residents
Hamilton Island’s hotels and resorts will be reopening on August 1 2020. Subject to government advice.
Stay Well Measures
Hamilton Island has implemented the ‘Hamilton Island Stay Well Program’ across the Island which strictly adheres to the COVID Safe Directives of the Queensland Chief Health Officer. This program aims to ensure the safety of our guests, staff and community.
Before you arrive
- If you reside in, or have visited a declared COVID-19 hotspot during the past 14 days, including Victoria, you must not enter Queensland. If this is you, and you arrive at Hamilton Island you will not be granted entry
- If you have just been tested and are self-isolating when you are due to arrive, or if you have tested COVID positive within 14 days before arrival, please don’t travel to Hamilton Island (no change fees attached with a medical certificate)
- If you are displaying cold and flu symptoms you will be asked to self-isolate and to get checked by our Medical Centre team
- In the unlikely event of you testing positive for COVID-19 while you are on Hamilton Island, you will be required to quarantine on the island OR on the Whitsunday mainland, for 14 days, at your own expense
- We suggest getting travel insurance before you travel anywhere, just in case you have to change or cancel plans (our Hamilton Island Reservations Specialists can organise that for you)
- Our Stay Well Program strictly adheres to the COVID Safe Directives of the Queensland Chief Health Officer
- We conduct thermal scanning of all visitors upon entry to the airport and the ferry terminal
- There are hand sanitiser stations resort-wide indoors and outdoors
- Masks and gloves are available upon request at all front desks and outlets
- Compendium, stationery and magazines have been removed from rooms and communal guest areas, replaced with online or paper information packs
- Our areas are set for one person for every four square metres indoors and outdoors
- We practise the 1.5m social distance rule island-wide
- We practise all social distancing measures at all of our onshore and offshore activities
Increased cleaning and sanitisation
- We conduct frequent regular cleaning of public and high traffic areas
- We do increased and frequent cleaning of hotel rooms with special attention paid to high touch surfaces, bathrooms and floors
- Our linen laundering processes follow the global WHO Safety Guidelines
- We’ve implemented a ‘Clean As You Go’ Program - all team members clean the surfaces they pass frequently as they move about their day
- Guests displaying cold and flu symptoms will be asked to self-isolate and to get checked by our Medical Centre team
- COVID-19 testing kits are available at our Medical Centre to ensure any suspected cases can be confirmed swiftly
- Quick and comprehensive case management protocol including the facilitation of island based isolation, testing and quarantine if required
- We have specially trained cleaning staff on island available for post exposure cleaning if necessary
- Our first responder, medical, safety and security staff have completed the Australian Department of Health COVID-19 Infection Control Training
- Cashless payment is required island-wide
- Minimum capacity requirements apply in shops and restaurants
- Hotel buffet breakfast and shared menus have been replaced with a la carte
- Increased takeaway and food delivery options are available
- Contactless menus in all restaurants
- Our high contact area staff members have completed the mandatory TAFE QLD COVID Safe training courses
Flexible Booking Terms
Flexible Cancellation Policy (excludes Festive Season bookings)
Notice of any cancellation, amendment or reduction in the daily number of reserved rooms must be provided in writing to Hamilton Island Holidays. Cancellations and amendments received outside of 14 days prior to arrival will not incur a cancellation fee. Cancellations and amendments received within 14 and 7 days of arrival will be subject to a cancellation fee of 20% of the total booking value. Cancellations and amendments received within 7 days of arrival, ‘No Shows’ and/or ‘Early Departures’ will be subject to a cancellation fee of 100% of the total booking value. i.e: penalty will equal the total booking value. Credit card fees are non-refundable.
If you are suddenly impacted by border restrictions, have tested positive to COVID-19 in the 14 days previous to travel or are in self-isolation within 7 days of travel, please let us know and we can look at changing your travel dates with no fee attached. Please note we will need medical proof.
We strongly recommend you take out Travel Insurance before your holiday. We can help you to organise an online quote with Cover-More.
Hamilton Island Reopening FAQ’s
All interstate visitors to Hamilton Island are required to complete a Queensland Border Declaration Pass prior to travel. Applications for the Queensland Border Declaration Pass can be completed at: https://www.qld.gov.au/border-pass. In order to be eligible to enter Queensland, a separate pass is required for each individual travelling, including children.
During the month of July, the best way to access Hamilton Island is via a Cruise Whitsundays Ferry departing the mainland twice daily at 6.30am and 3.30pm. Further information about ferry services can be found at Cruise Whitsundays. For any guests travelling to the Whitsundays region via air, the closest airport to Hamilton Island is Proserpine. Direct flights to Hamilton Island are expected to resume in late July, however dates are yet to be confirmed. Helicopter and light aircraft transfers are available from Proserpine Airport to Hamilton Island and can be booked through Hamilton Island Air.
When will flights resume to Hamilton Island?
Flights are expected to resume from August 1. Refer to your preferred airline for schedules.
What restaurants and activities will be available on Hamilton Island?
27 June to 31 July 2020
Hamilton Island will be operating essential services only for guests. There will be no restaurants, bars or activities in operation on the Island. Golf Buggy transportation is available for guests who book a holiday home that includes a buggy. Hamilton Island’s IGA and bottle shop will be open for food and drink provisions. For any guests wishing to visit the Great Barrier Reef or Whitehaven Beach, certain tours are operational with Hamilton Island Air and Cruise Whitsundays. A full list of what will be available on Hamilton Island from August 1 will be regularly updated on our website in the coming weeks.
From 1 August 2020
Restaurants & Bars
Pool Terrace, Sails, Pizzeria, Marina Tavern, Bob's Bakery, Popeye's Fish and Chips, One Tree Hill (limited hours) and Main Pool Bar (limited hours) will be running with limited capacity so please make sure to book early to avoid disappointment. For information or to make a restaurant booking on Hamilton Island, complete the Restaurant Booking form, email Hamilton Island Restaurants or call the island switch on +61(0)7 4946 9999, and ask to be put through to your selected restaurant.
Tours & Activities
Some tours, activities and retail outlets will be temporarily unavailable, or operating on limited times and days, so please make sure to book early to avoid disappointment. For further information or to book tours or activities on Hamilton Island, visit our See & Do pages, email Tour Desk or call our Tour Desk on +61(0)7 4946 8305.
- Golf Driving Range
- Quad Bikes for Kids
- Breakfast with the Koalas at Hamilton Island Wildlife
- Clubhouse restaurant and bar at the Hamilton Island Golf Club
- IGA and Bottle Shop
- The Hut retail
- Trader Pete's retail
- qualia Boutique
- Beach Sports at Catseye Beach
- Hamilton Island Wildlife (Breakfast with the Koalas temporarily unavailable)
Operating most days
- Hamilton Island Golf Club and Pro Shop (Clubhouse restaurant and bar temporarily unavailable)
- Go Karts
- Sports Club (opens August 3, closed weekends)
- Mini Golf (closed weekends)
- Floral Collections retail
- Hamilton Island Designs retail
Operating on limited days
- Offroad Adventure Tours
- Dinghy Hire
For availability of Great Barrier Reef, Whitehaven Beach, scenic flight, boat or jetski tours and activities, please email Tour Desk or call our Tour Desk on +61(0)7 4946 8305.